TabLeft Workshop

Maker of things... Doer of stuff... Wanna watch?

Month: May 2015

I needed a way to organize the various rulers, squares, curves, etc. that I use regularly. I had seen some ruler racks that are just horizontal slits in a board, but I wanted something more secure, and able to fit pretty much any ruler with no moment or risk of falling out if its bumped.

The lock uses kids rubber bounce balls in a tapered track that wedge against the tool when pulled downward and release when lifted back up slightly.

I needed a place to keep all my hammers etc, but I had very little room. In the end I came up with this front pull design with spring loaded gates. The gates open and close automatically when you insert or remove a tool, and the spring keeps the gate in the position you left it so its more secure when closed and stays open when empty. This design also works for pretty much any hammer or mallet so long as the handle can fit in the space allowed for by the gate.

I didn’t want to hang them on nails or pins because it would take up too much space horizontally and I couldn’t use a lift out rack because i couldn’t spare the space above the rack. I also didn’t like the idea of having specific spaces for specific hammers.

Literally everything for this build came out of the scrap bin, hence all the random sizes and dissimilar materials I started with, but it was mostly 3/4 ply and a scrap of 2×6 for the bracket, the springs were made from a strip of maple.

Simple cheap wall mounted hardware & parts organizer.

The design allows for easy batch assembly, low cost lumber, customization of bin size, and easy future expansion.

The material used could vary, but for the video I used 1x4s(3), 2×4(1) and about a quarter sheet (2’x4′) of 5mm underlayment to make 18 4″ wide bins which easily hold a full standard size box of screws.

This was made on the cheap with materials I already had on hand, but probably less than $15 total cost for the materials I used if you needed to buy it all.

© 2019 TabLeft Workshop

Theme by Anders NorenUp ↑